Hotels, Motels, Cabins

Irwin Hotel 1935
Ben Irwin Hotel in Cassville 1935
After operating hotels in Purdy and Washburn, Mr. and Mrs. Ben Irwin in 1926 built the Irwin Hotel where the Boatmen's National Bank (now Arvest Bank) now stands. From 1926 to 1963, it was one of the popular hotels in southwest Missouri and was a temporary home to many travelling "drummers" over the years. The hotel had a reputation for serving excellent food. The Irwins were the parents ofthe late Gladys Smith, who from 1934 to 1972 was postmaster here and the late Mrs. Hazel Joslyn. For about six year, prior to building the Irwin Hotel, Mr. and Mrs. Irwin operated the Barry Hotel. -- The First 150 Years in Cassville, Missouri by Emory Melton
Hotel Barry 1914
Hotel Barry in Cassville 1914
Of all the hotels that have served Cassville since 1845, the longest running was the Barry Hotel at the southwest corner of the square. Following the fire in April of 1893, for a period of some twenty months, Cassville was without a hotel of any kind. The Bayless family came to the front and built what was then considered the leading hotel of the Southwest. On Thanksgiving night, November 29, 1894, the hotel was formally opened with a sumptuous dinner in the dining room attended by approximately 115 persons. Its 18 sleeping rooms were furnished with antique oak bedsteads, dressers, wash stands, chairs and ingrain carpets. In the aggregate, Hotel Barry cost nearly $8,000, the enterprising fraternity having donated a bonus of $500 as a guarantee of faith in the future of Cassville. The house was planned by J.M. Bayless and was erected under his personal supervision. It was opened under the management of Mr. and Mrs. Bud Marbut. The north half of the first floor, now occupied by Ellis, Ellis & Cupps law firm. -- The First 150 Years in Cassville, Missouri by Emory Melton
Venable Hotel 1910
Venable Hotel Cassville 1910
Hotel at Roaring River
Roaring River Hotel 1920s
Roaring River Hotel added on to the old mill by Roland M. Bruner had sleeping rooms upstairs and the dining area downstairs. Steps ran from the kitchen to the raceway. At left can be seen the laundry area which was built over the raceway with the water turning a turbine to generate electricity.
Roaring River Lodge
Roaring River Lodge 1940s
Completed in 1938 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the Roaring River lodge was constructed of native stone and huge timbers. The building consists of three stories. Until recent years, the ground floor was used for concessions, rest rooms, and a laundry. The second floor contained the kitchen, dining room (large enough to accommodate dancers upon occasion), and a full-length porch overlooking scenic Roaring River. The upper story was made up of eleven guest rooms, four of which had showers. The interior of the structure was finished in highly polished, natural color woods and the exterior woodwork was stained a deep brown. --Roaring River Heritage by Irene Horner
Attaway Hotel Monett 1908
Attaway Hotel Monett 1908
The Attaway Hotel was opened in March in a brick building that was completed in January, 1888. Although changes have been made the core of that building is part of the Broadway Hotel. --Monett 1887-1987
Harvey House Monett 1909
Harvey House in Snow Storm Monett 1909
The old Harvey House, owned by the nationally known Fred Harvey Company, accommodated many hundreds of passengers traveling through Monett at the turn of the century. The large wood frame building was located directly north of the Frisco Railroad tracks between Fourth and Fifth Streets, in the center of what is now Front Street. It had 42 rooms for travelers, a dining room below with ten tables which seated eight person, and a lunch room in the building to serve up to 40 people. Living quarters for employees were also provided on the upper floor. Twenty-four passenger trains went through Monett each day at that time, so the Harvey House kept quite busy. The establishment burned in 1912. –Monett Times
Manley Cabins 1937
Manley's Cabins at Cassville 1937
The above photograph shows one of the three earliest cabin courts in Cassville built by Mr. and Ms. Bon Manley, some sixty years ago. Bon Manley also operated one of the early "filling stations" in Cassville at the comer of Sixth and Main Streets, where the Cassville Democrat is located. -- The First 150 Years in Cassville, Missouri by Emory Melton
Clark Cabins
Clarks Modern Cabins 1940
By 1930, Cassville's two hotels, the Barry Hotel and the Ben Irwin Hotel, during the summer months were insufficient to accommodate travelers. It was about this time, "tourist camps" or "tourist cabins" came into prominence. In the late twenties and early thirties, Harter's Cabins at the north edge of town, just north of 17th Street on the west side of Highway 37; Clark's Cabins built on the west side of Main Street adjoining Hawk branch; and Manley's Cabins on the east side of Main Street about 150 yards south of the junction of Highways 76, 112 and what is now business route 37 were constructed by Mr. and Mrs. Bon Manley. -- The First 150 Years in Cassville, Missouri by Emory Melton
7 Valley Courts 1950
7 Valleys Court at Cassville 1950
Holiday Motel 1960
Holiday Motel 1960 Cassville
Rainbow Motel 1961
Rainbow Motel 1961 Cassville